Camilla Cleese is the daughter of John Cleese, the comedic legend who is best known for his work of Monty Python and Fawlty Towers, amongst many other movies and tv shows. Based in Los Angeles, Camilla has established herself as a highly successful comedian, writer and actor, who is dominating the stand-up comedy space and regularly performs at globally renowned comedy clubs including The Laugh Factory.
In recent years, Camilla has been working with her famous father, and together have been writing and performing in a number of tours, shows and projects. Camilla and John co-penned the musical film adaptation of the film ‘A Fish Called Wanda.’ Camilla also worked as a writer on the very first ‘Just for Laughs International Comedy Gala‘ at the Sydney Opera House.
In this hilarious, vulnerable and wide-ranging conversation, Camilla and I talk about:
- What it is really like to grow up with a famous father and living in the spotlight.
- Camilla’s childhood, earlier experiences and growing up in the business.
- The significant struggles Camilla experienced including getting arrested, drugs, DUIs, going to prison and experiencing homelessness.
- How Camilla course-corrected her life and found her passion in comedy.
- How Camilla made her mark in the stand-up comedy space.
- Overcoming failure, rejection, ‘bombing’ on stage hundreds of times.
- Building confidence.
- The reality of being a woman in the comedy industry, and the challenges faced.
You can listen to the full episode here:
You can find Camilla and see what she is up to here:
Facebook: Camilla Cleese
If you enjoyed this episode, please remember to subscribe, rate and review The Boss in Heels Podcast.