“More than anything else, I believe it’s our decisions, not the conditions of our lives that determine our destiny” – Tony Robbins.
“Life is the dance between what you want most and what you fear most.” – Tony Robbins
Tony Robbins is someone who has inspired, challenged and motivated me throughout the course of my life. As someone who places great emphasis on personal and professional development, it’s not difficult to connect the dots and understand why I’ve become such a big fan of Tony Robbin’s work. Tony has come to Australia numerous times over the course of his career and for whatever reason, I have never had the opportunity to go. So when Success Resources Australia announced he was going to present at Success Summit this month, I knew it was an opportunity not to be missed.
One thing I will say, is that Tony not only lived up to but exceeded my expectations. The power and presence he brought into the room of 2000 people was indescribable. The energy of the room completely shifted as Tony continually engaged with the audience. We jumped, danced, sung, laughed and cried – and all in the space of an afternoon. Whilst it is almost impossible to adequately express the impact of the program, I am going to unpack some of my key takeaways and lessons with you here:
1. EXECUTION IS POWER
We often hear the term “knowledge is power”. Tony shared a different view on this, saying knowledge is potential power, and execution is power.
Tony read 700 books in 7 years, and after a point in time the information he took on board became jaded. He believes that power is in the action and execution that we take to reach our goals and dreams.
2. DECISIONS SHAPE OUR DESTINY
Tony says the single factor that shapes and controls our ultimate destiny is the ability to harness the power of decision. Decision is the ultimate power, and there are three core decisions each of us makes every moment to determine the quality of our lives.
1. What should I focus on?
- Do you tend to focus on what you can control over what you can’t control?
- Do you tend to focus on what you have or what’s missing?
- Are you focusing more on the past, present or future?
2. What does something mean?
3. What should I do?
If we want to get the results we want, we have to change our patterns.
3. HOW TO ACHIEVE AN EXTRAORDINARY QUALITY OF LIFE
An extraordinary life requires mastering two skills:
- Science of Achievement: The ability to produce results, to take anything you envision and to make it real.
- Art of Fulfilment: The ability to feel happiness and joy in the process, to delight in the experience of life.
The secret to wealth and happiness is to add more value. Happiness comes from progress. Progress shows up in the form of growth and in a sense of contribution.
4. FAILURE IS NEVER A LACK OF RESOURCES, IT’S A LACK OF RESOURCEFULNESS
Tony shared his views and insights on the topic of failure. Energy without strategy isn’t enough. When you ask people why they have failed, the usual responses are lack of time, money, energy, technology, education, terrible people or terrible management. Tony challenges this view by saying that failure is never a lack of resources, it’s a lack of resourcefulness.
5. THE THREE MANDATES OF LEADERSHIP
- See it as it is, not worse than it is: Leaders wake people up to the reality of the situation. They get people to see what’s really going on, not how it’s been programmed and conditioned into their minds. leaders know it’s not about being positive, it’s about being smart.
- See it better than it is: Create a vision beyond the moment, no matter how tough the moment us. the people who are successful see something that no one else sees and take advantage of it. Design a vision of what it could be, and create a compelling future, something that people can look forward to.
- Make it the way you see it: Come up with a strategy and make a consistent effort to change the way you see it. Find a way – no matter what anyone says can be done. Adapt, change, add value, and get flexible.
LESSONS FROM TONY ROBBINS
The session with Tony Robbins was full of some incredible life lessons and learnings, and some of which I will be immediately implementing within my life. The afternoon was not only inspirational and uplifting, but powerful and moving. Tony will be back in Sydney for Unleash the Power Within in Sydney in September, and I highly recommend seeing him in person if you have the opportunity to do so!
Have any of you seen or would like to go to a Tony Robbins event? Let me know your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!